CARE WEST INSURANCE COMPANY
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect personal information about consumers when it is necessary to conduct the business of insurance. In general, we have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers in the preceding twelve months:
- Identifiers such as your real name, alias, postal address, telephone number, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, state identification card number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
- Signature, physical characteristics or description.
- Insurance policy number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
- Medical information and health insurance information.
- Age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, gender, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), and veteran or military status.
- Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information.
- Current or past education, employment history, performance evaluations, income and salary details, credentialing information.
- Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
We collect personal information from applications, claim forms and other documents that we receive from you and from your transactions with us. We also collect personal information from other sources, such as insurance agents and brokers, claims investigators, attorneys, medical providers, credit reports, public records, the Internet and social media.
HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use the personal information we collect as outlined above for the following business purposes:
- To underwrite and service our workers’ compensation insurance policies.
- To investigate and process claims under our workers’ compensation policies.
- To provide you with support and respond to your inquiries, including investigating and addressing your concerns and monitoring and improving our responses.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us, including detecting security incidents and debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing functionality.
- To process your premium payments, transactions, and other payments to and from you, and prevent transactional fraud.
- To respond to law enforcement requests, regulatory agency requests and as required or allowed by applicable laws, court order, rules or regulations.
- To conduct fraud investigations and report fraud pursuant to applicable laws, court order, rules or regulations.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE DISCLOSE
In the preceding twelve months, we have disclosed the categories of personal information listed above to the following categories of third parties for business purposes:
- Insurance agents and brokers
- Service providers
- Claims administrators, investigators and attorneys
- Premium audit firms
- Insurance advisory rate service organizations
- Governmental authorities and regulatory entities
- Law enforcement personnel
- As required by law or subpoena
We have not sold any personal information to third parties in the preceding twelve months.
HOW TO EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS
This section explains how you may exercise your CCPA rights, except that these rights are not available with respect to:
- Personal information about a job applicant, employee or contractor of ours that we collect and use within the context of that person’s role as a job applicant, employee or contractor: or
- Personal information that we collect about an employee, owner, director, officer, or contractor of another business in the context of our providing a product or service to, or receiving a product or service from, that other business.
Request to Disclose:
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information over the preceding twelve months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
Request to Delete:
You have the right to request that we delete your personal information, with certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies under applicable privacy laws and regulations.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information or perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, or protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or respond to requests from governmental authorities prosecuting those activities.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation or applicable laws, court order, rules or regulations.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of the information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
How to Request Disclosure or Deletion:
To request disclosure or deletion of your personal information as explained above, you or a person you authorize to act on your behalf, may submit a request to us by either:
- Calling us toll free at: 1-877-625-6566, or
- Sending us an email to: email@example.com
We cannot respond to your request if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request. To be verifiable, your request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify that you are the person about whom we have collected personal information or an authorized agent of that person.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
- We may require that you provide identifying information that matches the personal information we maintain about you, and/or provide other information which allows us to verify your identity.
How We Will Respond to Your Request:
We try to respond within forty-five (45) days of a verifiable consumer request. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the twelve month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. Our response will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable.
We are not obligated to provide information more than twice within a twelve month period.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of the above rights.
EFFECTIVE DATE AND UPDATES
This Notice is effective April 1, 2020. We reserve the right to amend this Notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this Notice, we will post the updated Notice on the Website.
CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you have any questions or comments about this Notice or about Care West’s privacy practices, please contact us at:
Mail: Care West Insurance Company, P.O. Box 2710, Rocklin, CA 95677, Attn. Privacy
Phone: 1-877-625-6566 (toll free)
Copyright © 2020 by Care West Insurance Company. All rights reserved.